Scope: We were engaged to carry out the rejuvenation and repairs of one of North Sydney’s most significant heritage listed buildings. This structure originally formed part of what was once St. Leonard’s Public School in 1878. As a result of the deterioration of the balcony’s timber structure with the existing decking, joists and posts supporting the awning having rotted.
NSW Heritage Council instructed that the original fabric was to be retained and the damage be repaired in accordance with the heritage council’s instructions and details. The balcony’s primary framing of hardwood posts and bearers were retained. Existing deteriorated joists were cleaned and left in place to satisfy the heritage council, with new joists laid between these joists using special detailing. The rotted bases of the posts were cut out with new bases scarfed in with galvanised base plates to extend their life. Finally, the traditional iron lace balustrading was replaced using traditional forging methods to bring the balcony up to current code compliance.